Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Coffee Cup Crusade...

Further to my previous blog post, I've been doing lots of research on how one can recycle a disposable coffee cup in Vancouver. Obviously, reusable mugs are the best option, but not always feasible. I was told by the city of Vancouver that disposable coffee cups and lids are not recyclable. Little did I know, these cups have a lining of plastic inside them that deems them non-recyclable. However, there is an alternate option - compostable cups. Here is a Vancouver based company who supplies them:

http://www.bioplasticscanada.com/?page=corncups

After they are used, these cups would be shipped to commercial composting facilities where they are then broken down. The problem is, these cups are 5 cents more expensive for coffee companies like Blenz and Starbucks to purchase. Of course, this would make their costs go up. I don't know about you, but I'm more than happy to pay an extra 5 cents for my coffee knowing that the cup won't end up in a landfill. Would you pay an extra 5 cents for a compostable cup? What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I think you mean 0.05 more expensive. I think I'd pay that, but I'd want some reassurances that they weren't just pocketing the 5 cents.

    In order to provide me with that they'd have to implement a transparent auditing system for customers to see where their cups used cups are going and implement a collection system. 5 cents is the raw cost for the cups, but what would the marketing associated with their "greener" image cost? And what would a separate garbage collection in their stores cost? Tough to say. 15 cents a cup? 20 cents a cup? All of a sudden you've increased the cost of the coffee by 10 or 15%.

    Will people pay that? More research can and SHOULD be done! Especially by Blenz et al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some good points. In this economy, it seems that there isn't a big push for change that costs $$$. I think things will start to change only when the consumers demand recyclable cups. Right now, there seems to be a lack of awareness amongst consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds great.. I surely would pay the difference, but as the post before said.. I'd want to know that the company doesn't keep the money and really recycles!

    Hey, it's great reading your posts..!!

    Ps. I'm now working in a marketing congress at school.. it sure seems to be working out great, I'll keep you updated if you're interested!

    cheers fellow marketer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for your busines card, and directing me to the blog. It's an interesting debate.

    Green PR is the 'modus operandi'- if companies can attract greater market share by advertising their green credentials, the may be willing to absorb the 5 cent cost, as it will be offset by icreased revenue.

    Ask not how much the compostable cups cost, but 'how many more coffee's will need to be sold to absorb the added cost'. Then your really talking the language of a retail corporation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brett,

    You're welcome and thank you for your comments! Please email me at bluefinchcreative@gmail.com. I'd love to hear more about your business. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete